Friday, July 10, 2009

Vigil held for missing Cocke County teen

Jul 10, 2009


By ANN KEIL
6 News Reporter

NEWPORT (WATE) -- Family and friends gathered to pray for Megan Maxwell's safe return just as the search hits another dead end.

Last week, police brought cadaver dogs to two different locations, including the spot where Maxwell's burned car was discovered, but they found nothing.

"I forget what a day of just being normal is, and if I'll ever know that again," says Lisa Maxwell, Megan's mother.

It's been nearly 12 weeks since the 19-year-old disappeared. Her mother says the rumors have been hard to hear, but the unknown has nearly broken her heart.

"Some days I can cry all day. Other days I'm so mad, and I'm frustrated, and I don't understand," she says.

It is any parents worst nightmare, and Lisa Maxwell has been living it almost three months. So Friday night she dedicated a vigil to her little girl who she says was never without a smile.

"I'm hoping to find her alive, and well, that's what I'm going to cling to," Lisa Maxwell says.

Beside her stood young kids clutching onto their loved ones, and tears were shed as special messages were written on balloons in Megan's honor then released into the sky.

"I miss her. I miss her so bad. I miss that feeling she gave me," says Maxwell.

Megan Maxwell's friends and family have organized another community search Saturday morning. They will meet at 8 a.m. in the West End Food City parking lot in Newport, and it is an open invitation to all who want to help out.

Among those at Friday night's vigil was the Newport Police Chief. He spoke with 6 News about their investigation.

"We do something every day sometimes several things a day. We had search dogs in here last week. Each lead that comes in regardless of what the lead is we follow it to its end. It might seem minute to the person who calls it in, but it may be that one piece to the puzzle to push this thing over the top," says Maurice Shults, the Newport Police Chief.

There is a person of interest in the Maxwell case, but he has not been charged in connection with her disappearance.

Right now, Jeffrey Stock is in federal custody. A federal grand jury indicted him on charges of traveling in interstate commerce, and failing to register as a sex offender.

No comments:

Post a Comment